Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmastime

I love Christmas.

I love everything about it.

I love the atmosphere of people, expecting. I love the crowds, and the lines. I love the baking and the eating! I love the giving (and the receiving)! I love the music! I love that family finally finds time to get together.
I LOVE Eva's purple dress.

It's Christmas Eve. My house is full of sleeping people . . . my four babies, Andrew, his mom, and my brother. My parents are sleeping in a nearby hotel due to my mama's allergies to our pup. I can't sleep. I'm kind of taking in the quiet . . . it hasn't been quiet here in days. I'm staring at our beautiful tree that has way too many presents underneath it (thanks mom and thank you, God for blessing us with the ability to buy these things).

I'm enjoying the porcelain nativity set that my Grandma made so many years ago. When she downsized, she gave it to me. It's so special . . . and yes, there are a couple lego men visiting the baby Jesus.



I'm wishing we had done more to teach our kids about Jesus this season and I wish we would have taught them more about giving. We did have them go through their old toys and picked a couple things that another child would enjoy. Andrew and I called around and found some families that needed Christmas presents. That night we prayed for the little girl with kidney failure who would receive Eva's baby dolls and stroller. We also prayed for the family with the boys who would be getting a new Diego adventure set and a roaring T-Rex. We prayed that their dad would get work soon (and also explained to Eva that being fired doesn't literally mean you're burned up.)

I had really wanted the kids to get each other presents, to take a specific amount of money to the store, pick something out for one of their siblings, and wrap it themselves. I wanted them to experience the joy of giving, but we didn't get that far this year.


Thank you Jesus for an amazing year and an amazing life. Sometimes I feel like we have it too good. You are so good to us. I pray that Andrew and I would would have Your heart and that we'd never be ungrateful. I always want to look to Him and trust Him with everything . . . and not care what the world thinks of me. Thank you, Lord, for sending us your Son, because I am imperfect without Him.

Happy Birthday, Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Amanda! God sees your heart and he smiles! As do I! Love you guys! Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say our actions speak louder than our words. You seem to have gotten the giving message to Eva. I wish I could post the pictures I took of the little gift she brought me after sitting with you wrapping gifts. She came out of your room and sat over on one side of the living room, very busy with a craft. She cut it out, wrapped it in a scrap of your silver paper then brought it to me and asked me to help her write To Nana from Eva on the tape. I was so touched. She had made two hearts and a headband just for me. Pretty impressive for a four year old. I have them sitting next to me, wrapping and all.

    ReplyDelete